Friday, May 26, 2006

"Pending" Investigation

Ah, my first post. I am the infamous Marshall B., as mentioned in the welcome post. Despite the initial, my last name isn't actually ByRefObject (hmm... should I put in for a name change?). I'll do my best to share my wisdom with you, and by "wisdom" I mean the rough equivalent of doing a face plant after tripping over your coffee table, only to miraculously spot the ball of silly putty under the couch that you thought you'd never, ever see again.

I've been working on a PVCS to Team System Source Control utility, and I ran into a curious issue after stopping a migration part way through. When I went to run the next migration test, it almost immediatly produced an error, saying that it could not find one of the files to check-in. But when I stepped through the code to investigate the problem, I found I wasn't even asking it to add that file!

So what was the problem? Even though the Source Control page within the Visual Studio IDE showed no pending changes, a pending addition from the terminated migration I had done earlier was still hanging around, even though Visual Studio wasn't showing it. After clearing out the left-over pending change in my code, all was good.

So the moral of the story is just because you can't see it in Visual Studio doesn't mean it ain't there. That, and silly putty is always in the last place you look.

No comments: